Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 00:22:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      David <dvo264@airmail.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ascii conversion to binary

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:54:29 +1030
> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> To: David <dvo264@airmail.net>
> Cc: Adam Simpson <adam2@apollo.netsonic.com>,
>     freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: ascii conversion to binary
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 11:15:35PM -0600, David wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:39:42 +1030
> >> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> >> To: Adam Simpson <adam2@apollo.netsonic.com>
> >> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >> Subject: Re: ascii conversion to binary

> >> As others have said, no.
> >>
> >> There is *never* a reason to transfer files in ASCII.  Always choose
> >> binary.
> >
> > I'll let you reset all my HTML codes in the web pages after I transfer
> > then in Binary. I'm getting tired of doing it after forgeting to type
> > ascii at the prompt.
>
> Please explain.  Binary doesn't change anything.

*Serveral* times I have moved a webpage site from one host to another. I
used command line FTP, Not a Win95 program such as CUTEFTP or WS_FTP ,
Each time i've done a mget to pull all the files. As long as I change
modes to ascii from binary I can go to the site ( in a browser) after the
transfer and nothing has changed as far as the formating of theHTML document.
But if I don't change to ASCII and stay in BINARY , Since I just transfered the
JPG's and GIF's also, the HTML formating ie.. tabs, Returns, end of lines,
any formating I've done will and was wiped out and I had to take the page
back into an editor, and reset all the formating codes. Maybe I was doing
something wrong but I'm tired of haveing to redo a page every time I don't
change to ASCII when i transfer a TEXT file with page formating encoded
such as an HTML document.

Dave