Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:52:54 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

Hi,

> So here's my vote for the benchmark standard:
>
> /usr/src and /usr/obj on one disk with !async

we might need 2 classes, here, single disk, mounted sync, and dual disks,
/usr/src mounted noatime, /usr/obj mounted async, noatime.

---
> CFLAGS=-O -pipe
> make cleandir && make world

I *really* would like to see the target be "make buildworld".  The
"make install" portion doesn't have much to do with the variabilities of the
overall times, and I don't want to do six make worlds (ie make installs)
in a row on my development systems.  "make buildworld" is safe, even when
we have major breakage in the source tree, but obviously "make install" isn't!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by