Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:56:17 +0100
From:      Anthony Barlow <tony@warp.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems su-ing to root...

We've noticed this as well with NIS if your using it. Make sure wheel is
the same on all the servers, on Linux which is still our main servers group
0 is root, whereas in FreeBSD group 0 is wheel. As our NIS servers are on
Linux, this also created the can't cd to root, incorrect group.

We did place +:*: at the end of our /etc/group file, but during the night
some cron job placed it at the beginning of the file.

At 08:47 09-04-97 +1000, Andrew Perry wrote:
>Did you check in /etc/group to make sure you're in the wheel group?
>
>On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co wrote:
>> From: pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
>>
>> I am trying to su to root under FreeBSD under 2.2 Release and I receive a
>> message that I am not in the correct group. I am in wheel, am I doing
>> something wrong or did I find a bug?
>>
>> ( I used the old adduser script to add my account and left the root
>> account without password.)

Regards,
Anthony