Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        gerti@bitart.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A bug? or NOT!  About FreeBSD 4.1

Gerd Knops wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > bsdnewbie bsdnewbie wrote:
> > > When boots from the FreeBSD 4.1 CD and "sysinstall" appears, the
> > > keyboard losts its function. No matter what I press, there is no
> > > response, even the key "caps lock", thoroughly dead. I have
> > > downloaded the "iso" file from "ftp.freebsd.org" and the md5sum
> > > matched. What is the problem, is this a bug in 4.1, or the new
> > > version is not compatible with my machine? The old version 4.0 has
> > > no problem! Can anybody help me? Urgent! Thanks in advance.
> >
> > What kind of keyboard is it? Is it a USB keyboard plugged into an
> > Intel USB controller with legacy support enabled?
> >
> Actually that sounds like the well known ASUS K7 problem...
>
> Try disabling the virus detection in the BIOS. That fixed a problem
> with identical symptoms in my case.

No.  First, I've added a workaround for the virus protection buglet in
various K7 mobo's.  Also, that bug caused the loader to die, thus the
system never got into sysinstall.  This problem is related to the kernel
and later since sysinstall doesn't have any keyboard activity.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/