Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:38:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ifconfig aliases

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> I believe the problem lies in the fact you are putting both addresses
> on the same LAN.

Yes, they are both on the the same LAN. However, this didn't affect the
other server, as it is running multiple IP addresses on that LAN.

Here is the application:

A customer of mine has colocated two servers with us. He is a reseller for
Megapop. These boxes run primary/secondary DNS, and radius. Since Megapop
doesn't support secondary radius servers, I had to develop a failover
solution.

Here is the configuration:

IP address queried for radius: 208.244.234.131
IP of reseller2 (primary DNS, backup radius): 208.244.234.132
IP of reseller3 (secondary DNS, primary radius): 208.244.234.133

As of now, reseller3's main address is 208.244.234.133, and I have .131
ifconfig'ed up on it as well.

I have written a perl script that will manage the IP so that whenever the
primary radius server is up, it will have .131. Whenever the primary is
down, the secondary has .131.

This is when I noticed that reseller2 (.132) refused to use the alias'ed
ip properly. I know the script works, I tested it fully on some
differnet machines. However, I can't implement the script until I figure
out how to restore proper ifconfig functionality.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-620-9634
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net