Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:46:12 -0800
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple definition of `__i686.get_pc_thunk.bx'

On Sun 27 Feb 2011 at 12:24:06 PST Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>I am the maintainer of the port vis5d+.  I just got this email (copied
>below) saying that vis5d+ isn't building right now.
>
>The issue seems to be that some reference to __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx is
>included twice at some point.  This variable seems to be part of an
>object file crtbeginS.o that is created by gcc or gcc45, in what seem to
>me to be very mysterious conditions.  I am rather sure that the issue
>has nothing to do with vis5d+, but rather is something to do with either
>gcc45, or libtools, neither of which I understand.
>
>Does anyone out there have any idea of what the problem is, or how it
>can be solved?

I've seen a similar problem with py-numpy. It seems to occur when
there's a compiler/linker mismatch.  In py-numpy's case, I was able to
resolve it by defining LDSHARED to an appropriate value:

MAKE_ENV+= LDSHARED="gcc45 -shared"

Otherwise, the build was trying to use /usr/local/bin/gcc45 to compiler
and /usr/bin/cc to link, resulting in the two different thunk
definitions.