Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2015 13:08:29 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        FreeBSD-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LSI 3008 based HBA (mpr) and backplane slot identification

Hello,

I am now trying the LSI 3008 based HBAs, and I would like to know wether =
I have a _reliable_ slot identification method or not.

I am using the sas3ircu tool in the same way I did with the LSI 2008 =
HBA. It helps me to locate the slot number for a disk=20
using "sas3ircu 0 display".

--------
Device is a Hard disk
  Enclosure #                             : 2
  Slot #                                  : 16
  SAS Address                             : 5005076-0-3ea6-f971
  State                                   : Ready (RDY)
  Size (in MB)/(in sectors)               : 953869/1953525167
  Manufacturer                            : ATA    =20
  Model Number                            : Samsung SSD 840=20
  Firmware Revision                       : CB6Q
  Serial No                               : S1D9NSAFB14948X
  GUID                                    : N/A
  Protocol                                : SATA
  Drive Type                              : SATA_SSD
-------

What I don't know is: can I consider this a reliable method of =
identification? Can these slot numbers be somewhat shuffled due to=20
"cached" parameter oddities similar to the target ID persistance issues?

In case we need to replace a disk we need to make sure we are using the =
right slot number.

Besides, it would be a good idea to have a port with sas3ircu, the same =
way there is one for sas2ircu.

Thanks!

Borja.