Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:43:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        jazepeda@pacbell.net (Alex Zepeda), ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de (Olaf Hoyer), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

> > Yes, but look at the trend in America towards larger engines and larger
> > vehicles.  And yes, a catalytic convertor does reduce emissions, but a
> > fuel injected car, with an oxygen sensor, when fed oxygenated fuel will
> > think that it's running lean and richen the mixture, meaning more fuel is
> > burned than needed.
>
> Do you have any cites for this? I am not too familiar with the
> intricacies of fuel-injection technology, but wonder how this would
> occur. If the sensor you are talking about somehow detects
> atmospheric, free oxygen, it won't pick up the stuff in the gas. The
> 'E' in MBTE is for ether. It has a oxygen bonded to two carbons, and I
> really don't think a sensor that picks up free oxygen would detect
> it.

1986.  University of Denver study.  Funded by an NSF grant.

Unfortunately, chemists are less adept at keeping their
literature indexed and on line than computer scientists.
Here is the public page for the place that has this and similar
papers archived, but their search engine is currently broken:

	http://www.cutr.eng.usf.edu/research/afitc/public.htm

Here is what it does to your hoses and seals:

	http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Cyberchumps/Questions/q242.html

Using queries for "+denver +oxygenated" on Altavista, you can
get about 566 hits, and search them down.

Wes probably remembers the Denver study from the radio in Utah
from around that time.

> > Oxygenated fuel only works well with carb'd cars.
>
> After all I said above, I'd love a cite for this too. Aren't the
> majority of new vehicles pretty much all fuel injected.

My car, which gets 64 miles a gallon, is carbuerated, as was
the Honda CRX-HF, which got 72 miles a gallon.  Both have
higher pollution output with Oxygenated fuels; I have the
Dynamometer results (required in Pima County, Arizona) which
prove this, as they are on a six month Oxygenation cycle,
and my car was borderline, then it had a clean bill of health
(my registration renewal straddled the Oxygenation period).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.