Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:48:54 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        ser@mondenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help: HP DeskJet 820Cxi

gerard wrote:

> I'm root and hpdf is executable. I picked this script from the documentation
> There is a command on /dev/fd/0.  (Cannot symlink /dev/fd/0, hpfd299.dvi:
> Permission denied...) By the way, this printer (HP DeskJet 820Cxi) is, if I can
> read from the box, for Windows. I'd like to get rid of Windows.
> ____________
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Andrew Johns wrote:
> > gerard wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a P133 on 6.4GB with 64MB of RAM. 2.2GB is partioned
> > > for FreeBSD 3.1R. I tried to use lptest  no result. But it seems to stay on
> > > untill i hit Ctrl+C.
> > > Following the instruction, I've tried to write a filter
> > > _______________
> > >  heather|jerry:\
> > >         :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/heather:\
> > >         :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
> > >         :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpdf:\
> > >         :lf=/var/log/heather.log
> > > _________________
> > > result: Permission denied

Hmmm - /dev/fd/0 is the floppy drive - I doubt that you'd be storing
filter files there as they don't exist when there's no floppy mounted.

Secondly, what is the contents of the script?  ie: is the
heather|jerry:\..... the contents of the script - if it is, then it is
wrong - these details should be in /etc/printcap.  The hpdf script
should look something like:
#!/bin/sh
#
# hpif - Simple text input filter for lpd for HP-PCL based printers
# Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif
#
# Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.
# Tells printer to treat LF as CR+LF. Writes a form feed character
# after printing job.

printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\033&l0H" && exit 0
exit 2

...taken directly from the handbook.

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."