Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:29:57 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good disk checker/repair?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 05:03:17PM +0100, rene@xs4all.nl stood up and spoke:
> Hi. I've got a 40G Seagate IDE disk that might have some errors on it.
> /usr/ports/sysutils/diskcheckd appears broken (now doing a cvsup) so I'm
> wondering if any other tool will allow me some disk checking / repair...

Depends. If your *filesystem* has errors, then fsck is supposed to deal
with them and will happily do so. However, if your question is about "low
level" problems with your hard disk, such as bad sectors, then the issue
changes a bit. In order to diagnose (and, if possible, correct) such
problems, special software must be used. Such software is mostly
specifically created for certain hard disks, for example, Western Digital
provides a hard disk check utility called "WDDIAG" or, since a few months
"DLGDIAG". This thing is specialized in checking Western Digital hard
drives for "low level" problems and repairing them, if possible.

Now, you are using a Seagate drive, which means that the Western Digital
software will not work for you. However, Seagate probably provides some
similar software for free download on their website. Just note that these
utilities tend to want DOS in order to run. Indeed, the only reason why I
have a DOS boot disk around here is that it allows me to run the Western
Digital hard drive diagnosis utility...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany