Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:32:18 +0200
From:      mlfbsd <mlfbsd@ci0.org>
To:        "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KB9202 booting large kernels

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 08:54:09PM +0200, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
> On Saturday 17 June 2006 02:43, David Sharp wrote:
> > i have been succesful with smaller nfs-root kernels booting on the
> > KB9202.  however, when i try larger MD_ROOT kernels it does not work.  the
> > break point is around 2.6MB total kernel size.  as the size approaches
> > that number there will be some error messages about elf linker not finding
> > a symbol, or no error and just garbage on the console.  after passing the
> > 2.6M mark by more than 10kB it silently hangs.
> >
> > does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong?
>
> I don't have a clue to what is causing it, but I have a KB9202 here since a
> couple of weeks, and I have noticed the same problem.
> As it was my first experience with FreeBSD on anything not i386 and not Sparc
> I assumed I was doing something wrong :)
> I boot my board over TFTP, but I have yet to check wether the entire kernel
> gets downloaded, or if it's the TFTP client that only reads the first +/- 2.6
> MByte.
>
> grtz,
> Daan

Hi,

There have been some none issues with large kernel, but it was for kernels >
8MB. If you're not using the gzipped kernel stuff, then the best suspect would
be the TFTP client from the bootloader, which is known to be dodgy. Warner
worked on this, and you may try your luck in flashing what's in
sys/boot/arm/at91 (make sure to replace any occurence of -DBOOT_TSC with
-DBOOT_KB9202).

Cheers,

Olivier