Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:12:00 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware gateway.

In message <199508141122.MAA00771@server.netcraft.co.uk>, Paul Richards writes:
>Ahh, yes, the joys of US connectivity.

:-)

Speaking as someone who gets over a 100 ICMP Source Quench
messages/hour from Demon's routers because of trans-atlantic traffic,
I can understand (and that's my sending data at 14k4 speeds
remember...)

>A 128Kb link from Pipex is $60,000 !!! You've got no chance of
>getting a class C address unless you get a leased line. It's
>basically accepted here now that if you get a dial-up connection
>you'll be allocated nothing more than a single ip address.

I went and re-read my stuff, Demon charge #1,000 setup and #600/month
for a 64k leased line. Trouble is, unless you are accessing a LOT of
UK based services (for which we have a relatively good link to
ja.net), it's probably better going with another ISP. I think Pipex
have something like 4 T1's going across the pond now.

>BT, the only telcom big enough to really service the internet here
>has a stranglehold on leased lines, a 64Kb leased line is $9000 to
>rent, that's just the physical cable. You have to pay an ISP for
>the internet service on top of that.

Yes, but Energis and Mercury both do leased lines, and somewhat
cheaper than BT from what I hear.

BTW: Is this still relevant to questions? :-)

Gary