Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:28:41 +0200
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>, Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: removed COMPAT_43 from GENERIC (and other configs)

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 05:20:49PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:59:38PM -0800, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > >
> > > It adds a bunch of ancient-compatible ioctls to the kernel.
> > >
> > > It is, as a principle, not needed, but thanks to the many variants
> > > of "sh configure" employed in usr/ports, a quite large number of
> > > ports go "Ohh, this is BSD, I'd better use the old ioctls" and
> > > break if you don't offer them.
> >=20
> > Is there a way to easily identify these ports? I've had both lines comm=
ented=20
> > out of my kernel configs for some time and haven't seen any port breaka=
ge on=20
> > either 6.x or -current.
>=20
> I did a full build for phk some time ago, I don't remember how many
> broke but it was enough to make it a significant (but perhaps not
> difficult) task to fix them.
>=20

I think it would be helpful to do another run if possible and put the
results online somewhere.  That could significantly speed up the whole
issue.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--