Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:18:17 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "didier@omnix.fr.org" <didier@omniset.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp / tcp problem with October 14th FreeBSD 2.2 SNAPSHOT

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to link two networks with user ppp / isdn line.
>
> I've two networks
>
> network A  192.168.0  (my client)
> network B  192.168.2  (my network)
>
> I established a ppp link trough 192.168.3.1 (my side) and 192.168.3.2
> (the client side)
>
> On the client side, I'm using "ppp -auto mysite" and "ppp -direct" on
> my side and ppp.
>
> when the client wants to establish a connection, ppp works fine.
>
> I'm able to use ping -f on both sides.
> It seems that all udp clients works fine.
>
> but when I want to use a tcp connection (for example telnet)
>
> It takes more than one minute to get an answer.
>
> In fact it seems that each time each time an application has to send a lot
> of data the tcp connection hangs.
>
> even with the tcp extension disabled.
>
> I can reproduce the problem with tcpblast. it hangs each time.
>
> however ping even with a large packet always works fine.
> (7000 packet with 0% packet lost)
>
> I checked with tcpdump -i tun0
>
> without any other connection to the client side. It took more than
> one minute for a telnet connection to acces the client side.
> without any packet transmited to the tun0 interface.
>
> The client side is running FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE.
>

> Do you have any clue ?
>
> In the mean time, I'm downloading the last release of FreeBSD
> with user ppp on a diallup Internet access (without any problem)

In my experience, *all* delay problems I've seen have been due to
routing and DNS mis-configurations.  Can you DNS look up both machines
forwards and backwards from both machines ?  Also, your assigned IP
number for your clients side seems not to match his network.

Also, you may want to try the null-modem example in ppp.conf.sample
(it didn't make 2.2.1, but is in the 2.2 and 3.0 branches).
This setup works 100% for me.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;