Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:47:53 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "j mckitrick" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unix filesystem structure

IMHO I like everything being where I can find it. I like knowing where the
executables are, where the docs are, etc. It makes it easier on paths (ever
try looking at /opt setups? Very much like Windows Program Files
directories, grouped by application, so a PATH variable would have to have a
ton of entries rather than maybe 5 or 6) and its easier for me to go to
/usr/local/share/doc/application than to try to remember if it installed in
Program FIles or somewhere in the drive's (filesystem's) root directory.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems
Communications and Computer Services
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center