Date:      30 Jun 99 02:55:05 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, Jordan K.Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, krooger@debian.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Linux vs. NT, take 2.]]

Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 01:29:51PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > Is there any validity to the discussion on -hackers that real-world=

> > > application performance doesn't corroborate the poor benchmark =

> > > results
> > > (as far as FreeBSD is concerned)?  I'm less concerned that =

> > > benchmarks
> > =

> > Plenty.  Netbench is notorious for not actually testing the load
> > balancing abilities or performance degradation curve as the number of=

> > users increases, both important factors in "real life" testing.
> =

> Another factor that is not taken into account in any benchmark is
> general OS stability.  NT may be able to kick our butts in some
> application performance tests, but can they continue to deliver that
> performance for a year without administrative intervention?  I
> doubt that most NT boxen are anywhere near that stable.  Uptime
> and platform stability is as important as performance.
> =

   WRONG!
   This factor will not be taken into account by buying managers.
   I've worked with several companies on similar issues only =

   to draw a blank.

   One company for instance found a bug in a competitors unit.
   The bug manifested itself when a user sent 1024 bytes through
   the buffer, not 1023 nor 1025, "1024 bytes"!  The bug would
   the lose the page in the buffer, never to be seen from again.

   The company then, after getting it's hands on the competitors
   mailing list sent everyone a one sheet page explaining the
   bug. The even went as far as send a diskette with a program
   to reproduce the bug.

   The results was less that 5% were interested in something
   different. Which amounted to hitting the red button on
   the front of the unit every day.

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml