Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 20:02:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber), gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, stable@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

> The passive option is still half useless without socks libraries in the
> installer.  (In fact, I received _zero_ responses to my question asking
> about proxy FTP servers, so I've reluctantly concluded that socks is all
> that there is)

Weeelllll..  I wouldn't quite say that.

Passive FTP truly takes care of a *lot* of firewalled folks, including
everybody I know at Cisco (and if they don't represent a good example
of a seriously facist network then nobody does!).

You can also specify an arbitrary port number with the current
install as part of the URL, e.g.:

	ftp://foo.bar.com:<portnum>/path

And this takes care of a lot of the proxies..  More than that, I
dunno..  There are limits to how far I'm willing to bend over
backwards to deal with sites who'd really prefer that their users go
back to passing information back and forth on paper and get those
scary network connectors unplugged from their machines! :-)

					Jordan