Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:41:19 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Win98 scandisk and Booteasy

At 02:02 AM 4/26/99 , Bond, Jeffery wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone else noticed that the Win98 scandisk program moans about the boot
>area being damaged (incorrectly) when booteasy is installed? (I dual boot
>between 3.1-RELEASE and win98).
>
>Win98 won't let me defrag unless I 'repair' the boot area first, and then
>re-install booteasy later. (sigh).
>
>Anyone else seen this, or had different results with different boot loaders?

I had a problem similar to this way back when I went from a 2.5GB IDE drive
to a new 8.4GB IDE drive. I had used DriveCopy to copy the partitions over.
It resized my FAT32 partitions to fill the new space and just copied my
FreeBSD partition over. After that, I had the problems you have.

I think it may have been related to different disk translation methods
being used. I backed up my data, wiped the system clean, and reinstalled
everything. This time I had FreeBSD use LBA mode for IDE access (flags
0x10001000 on wdc0) and I have no problems. I'm not sure if LBA mode was
necessary, but I figured it's a bit safer.

Another alternative is to use Windows' FDISK to create another partition
(probably an extended partition is your only choice) and then when you
install FreeBSD, change the SysID to FreeBSD. Then FreeBSD will install
itself in the partition according to the parameters that Microsoft thinks
is correct.

I'm no longer having any problems with my Win98 and FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE,
using OSBS.

BTW, it was mentioned in passing, on this list, a little while ago that
crash dumps don't respect LBA translation, and end up writing a part of the
disk other than your swap partition :( I searched the list archives but
couldn't find anything to back up this claim.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441