Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:55:21 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default configuration for xorg-drivers (WTF?)

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:25:03AM -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I confess.  I haven't been keeing my ports at all up-to-date.  (And this has
> already caused me grief in at least one instance.)  Today I have been trying
> to rectify that, but I ran into a bit of a problem when I did:
>
>   portupgrade -rR xorg-drivers
>
> A couple of hours later I'm staring at these errors:
>
> --->  Skipping 'x11-drivers/xorg-drivers' (xorg-drivers-7.3_3) because a requisite package 'xf86-video-cyrix-1.1.0_2' (x11-drivers/xf86-video-cyrix) failed (specify -k to force)
> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>         - x11-drivers/xf86-video-nsc (marked as IGNORE)
>         - x11-drivers/xf86-video-imstt (marked as IGNORE)
>         - x11-drivers/xf86-video-cyrix (marked as IGNORE)
>         - x11-drivers/xf86-video-via (marked as IGNORE)
>         * x11-drivers/xorg-drivers (xorg-drivers-7.3_3)
>
> So OK.  I get it.  The xorg-drivers port wants all of these other chipset-
> specific drivers, some of which ain't in a buildable state right at the
> moment.  Fine OK.  I understand.  But ummm.... if those drivers ain't
> buildable right now, does it really make a lot of sense to leave them
> *selected* as part of the *default* configuration for xorg-drivers ??

The *default* configuration for xorg-drivers is actually that those drivers
are not selected.
You probably set the configuration at some time in the past, and that
selection is now used instead of the defaults.

> Call me dense, but hope somebody can explain to me how this makes sense.
>
> So anyway, after googling around for good twenty minutes (cuz when it comes
> to either ports or X11, I don't know my own ass from my elbow) I learned
> that I had to manually cd into /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers and then
> "make config" and select the driver(s) I actualy needed, and *de-select*
> all of the (broken) ones listed above as "IGNORE".  Fine.  No problem.
> Even _I_ can do that.  But ummm... wait just a second... oh s**t!  My
> motherboad uses the VIA M8M890 northbridge, so I _do_ need that bleedin'
> VIA driver.
>
> So I google around another ten minutes or so and (luckily) I then come
> across this:
>
>   http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.ports/msg/b40b3298710a3086
>
> OK. So I get it.  Use "openchrome" instead of "via".  No sweat.
>
> But ummm...... Why is it that in the current up-to-date files relating to
> the xorg-drivers port, the openchrome driver is, by default, *de-selected*?

The default for xorg-drivers is that openchrome is selected and via is not
selected.

> Should I be worried?

No. You just have an old config selection lying around that overrides the
default.