Date:      08 Jun 1999 13:43:23 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's FTP Daemon

Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com> writes:
>  Hello, I run a moderatly sized ISP and as an
>  FTP daemon we use NcFTPD (www.ncftpd.com).

I wouldn't, if I were you. I've never used ncftpd, but judging from
ncftp, the author has absolutely no concept of how to properly
implement the FTP protocol.

>  most of these features are included with using
>  the normal ftpd from inetd.

If you expect large amounts of FTP traffic, you might want to run ftpd
in standalone mode.

>  A few things I need to know first, is were can I get
>  more information about this? Configuration wise..

The man page, of course. If that's not enough, read the source code.
It's quite beautifully written.

>  Secondly, lately i read some stuff about security
>  in this ftpd? Running the normal ftpd that comes
>  with freebsd is probably the safest way to go am I
>  correct?

It's pretty well-tested. I'm not aware of any vulnerabilities.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no