Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:19:03 +0300
From:      Vlad Berliba <vlad@astral.ro>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi0+ata

	Thanks for the post. Well I think I should have posted
to questions and not to stable list, which might be the reason
why I haven't got so many answers...
	Well I will start digging in the sources maybe I'll find
something...

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 06:08:03PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Vlad Berliba <vlad@astral.ro> wrote:
>  > 1.      I have a Lucent Orinoco PCMCIA radio card witch PCI->PCMCIA adapter.
>  >        The card works great since FreeBSD 4.4. Is there any way to be
>  > recognized faster by the kernel ?  I have to wait 10s until it comes up.
>
> That's something I'd like to know, too.  It seems to happen
> with all PCMCIA cards, not only NICs.  It's a bit annoying
> to have to wait 10 seconds just to read a picture from my
> camera's CompactFlash.
>
>  > 2.      I'm experiencing a speed drop on moving files on my hard disk.
>  > I don't know about the average data rate but I was having peeks of 8.x
>  > sometimes even 9 MBytes/s and know the maximum is 7.x Mbytes/s
>
> Well, the speed changes on the area of the disk.  On the
> outer cylinders, a disk is much faster than on the inside.
> So it depends very much where the data gets written.

  The partition hasn't changed its place since 4.5 and I'm "benchmarking"
with the same file.

> Regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 München
> Any opinions expressed in this message may be personal to the author
> and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix in any way.
>
> "All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream" (E. A. Poe)

Vlad Berliba
Administrator Retea
Astral Telecom
Tel: +40(0)64-432450