Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:16:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCARD vs GENERIC

> PCCARD used to exist separate from GENERIC due to the zp and ze
> drivers not being compatible with pccard's pcic driver.  These drivers
> were removed from the system not too long ago by phk.

The reason I added PCCARD to the system was because in the old code, I
didn't trust the PCCARD functionality to not negatively effect the
normal code.  Rather than potentially destabilize the desktop systems, I
kept the PCCARD kernel seperate.

The other reason is for the installation, but that's now a non-issue I
believe in -current, because one can use the standard install for both
desktop/laptop systems.

So, my only comment is that if you believe that the code is stable
enough to not negatively effect desktop systems, and not too much bloat,
then have at it.  Note, enabling PCCARD functionality w/out APM will be
a losing situation for many laptops, and adding APM functionality for
desktops may be a losing situation.

Nate