Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 20:02:07 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        david@burren.cx
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, jamil_taylor@pobox.com (Jamil Taylor), wyrdwulf@catskill.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

david@burren.cx types:
> I haven't investigated getting data off SmartMedia or MemoryStick
> cards.

I don't know about MemoryStick, but SmartMedia is a nightmare. The
interface is proprietary, and ugly. You write magic values to sector
zero to make blocks appear in sector 1, or some such. That it uses
SmartMedia instead of CompactFlash is one of my few problems with my
Olympus. That they gave me a SmartMedia->Floppy disk adaptor doesn't
really help much.

> Most cameras with serial ports are supported by Gphoto, but
> the transfer rates suck.

Personally, I use photopc instead of gphoto, but it's been so long
since I made the decision that I've forgotten why. You might note that
transfering images seems to suck batteries as well. It's fine for
casual use, but I'd hate to have to deal with it on a regular basis.

> Many cameras now come with USB, and USB
> card readers for all the card formats are also available.
> However, finding one that uses standard umass protocols is a
> difficult job.  Most seem to have done the normal USB thing and
> invented their own protocol.  I'm impressed to hear that the Sony
> DSC-S70 has done things the "right" way.

Even if the CompactFlash reader follows the umass protocols, the
SmartMedia reader may not. At least, the one I tried didn't.

	<mike