Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21399: Handbook DHCP section doesn't mention bpf

The following reply was made to PR docs/21399; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To: dpelleg+bsd@cs.cmu.edu
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:47:48 -0400

 On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 06:31:33AM -0700, dpelleg+bsd@cs.cmu.edu wrote:
 > The DHCP chapter in the handbook fails to say you'll need bpf compiled into your kernel.
 > If you simply follow the instructions in it (like I did), it won't work. Not until you
 > rebuild the kernel, that is.

  The attached patch should do it. I don't know if that big note about the
 bpf device I included is necessary, but both LINT and GENERIC tell the
 user to be aware of the consequences of using bpf, so I figured I might as
 well make it clear what those consequences are.
  Also, if you look at the patch, it looks like I screwed up indentation,
 but when the patch is actually applied, the indentation is correct (at
 least on my system). I have no idea why this is.

  And finally, just a question -- this patch turns a couple of paragraphs
 into a <listitem> within an <itemizedlist> and adjusts those paragraphs'
 indentation accordingly. Is it better to create two patches, one to make
 the paragraphs part of the list and then another with the whitespace
 change to make the section fit the style guide, or is it OK just to wrap
 the whole thing up in one patch like I did?

  Eric