Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:11:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      dave <dave@comsite.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD security audit, etc.

Ok, I've just about hit my limit with respect to people bashing FreeBSD
for security.  (Specifically certain members of the OpenBSD community :)

So, I have looked at the archives of the FreeBSD-security list and it
looked like the security audit pretty much stopped some time ago and never
restarted...Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

So, to correct this, I would like to start making an effort to break apart
the changes made to OpenBSD that will affect FreeBSD security and
integrate those changes into the FreeBSD tree.  If this actually sounds
like a good thing to do, then I will need to know who the contact is that
will be able to review my changes and check them into the necessary trees.
I definitely want to avoid integrating any politically incorrect features
from OpenBSD, but I want to make any changes that will improve security.

If this stuff has already been done and I just missed it somewhere, please
let me know.

I think that if we can get some of the major integration
work done then it will be a good time to restart the audit from scratch
and pick up what was missed.

Comments?

--Dave Ferovick
dave@comsite.net