Date:      Mon, 15 May 2017 03:48:20 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printer advice

On Sun, 14 May 2017 20:40:43 -0400 (EDT), Chris Hill wrote:
> Second, let me clarify that I would really prefer to stay away from CUPS
> if possible. I use lpr and printcap, with occasional printing from
> applications whose names start with "gn." What I'm after is a printer
> that works out of the box with minimal hassle.

So you'd be best prepared with a printer that understands PS or PCL.
You can generate PCL easily with gs (called via printcap), and PS is
no problem because it's the default printing output format of all
applications anyway.

> My main reason for hesitating on the HP M553n was that the specs claim
> support for "HP postscript level 3 emulation," which seems to be not the
> same thing as actual postscript. It would also be swell if I could avoid
> complications like hplip.

That printer also speaks PCL and PDF, which frees you from using
hplip (which is primarily intended for HP inkpee printers). You
can use gs to "preprocess" the printing program's output PS to
fit the printer, and you can - if intended - incorporate PPD
set-up instructions if you want to address specific printer
facilities or behaviour.

> One thing I like about
> HP is that they seem to make consumables for many years after the
> product is discontinued. Toner, fusers etc. are still available for the
> old 4550N after these many years.

Few years ago, I even got new "rubber parts" for a HP Laserjet 4! :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany