Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:16:50 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Mark" <meinreinhof@mep.nist.gov>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter with FreeBSD 4.4 question

"Mark" <meinreinhof@mep.nist.gov> wrote:

>I'm running ipfilter on my FreeBSD 4.4 box.
>
>#dmesg
>
>--snip--
>IP Filter: v3.4.20 initialized. Default =3D pass all, Logging =3D =
enabled
>--snip--
>
>1. Where does it look by default for ipf.rules to set up the rules?
>
>If I place the following in my /etc/rc.conf file:
>
>ipfilter_enable=3D"YES"
>ipfilter_program=3D"/sbin/ipf -Fa -f"
>ipfilter_rules=3D"/usr/local/etc/ipfilter/ipf.rules"
>
>The firewall works but I get ipfilter already initialized in dmesg.
>
>2. What is telling FreeBSD to start ipf when I don't have =
ipfilter_enabled
>even in the rc.conf?

You need one more line in /etc/rc.conf to say:
ipfilter_flags=3D""

Which will over-ride the default setting.

=46rom /etc/defaults/rc.conf
ipfilter_flags=3D"-E"             # should be *empty* when ipf is _not_ a=
 module
                                # (i.e. compiled into the kernel) to
                                # avoid a warning about "already =
initialized"