Date:      09 Jul 2002 22:44:08 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pre-everything targets

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 08:10, Paul Richards wrote:
> Can we change the policy on using the pre-everything target so that it
> doesn't do anything pre-fetch unless it really does affect whether the
> fetch takes place?

As a followup to my own message....

It would be useful to vendors if we could run 'make fetch' to grab all
the distfiles. Having given this a try there are lots of niggles with
doing so.

In a number of cases ports will check conditions to determine if the
port should be built and either exit, which aborts a complete tree
traversal, pop up an interactive dialog, or just skip the fetch phase
completely. There was even a case where a dependency kicked off and
starting building another port.

I'd like to see the fetch target cleaned up so that a 'make fetch' just
fetches the distfiles and for conditions to be checked before an extract
or build.

At the very least, a variable that always allowed distfiles to be
fetched would be an improvement so that vendors can easily collect
distfiles.

Also, some conditions need to be cleaned up as well. For instance, to
avoid interactive dialogs stopping the tree traversal I set BATCH, but
this isn't a clean solution, since some ports that are interactive skip
the fetch step if BATCH is set. I think the meaning of these options
need to be clarified with respect to each target.

There's also another issue with the fetch target, that's not incorrect
but isn't suited to vendor use. Some ports do a cvs co from a repository
as their fetch target, it'd be useful if this could be done differently
so that just distfiles can be fetched and other forms of obtaining
sources could be done separately.

--
Paul Richards                   |
FreeBSD Services Ltd            | Order 4.6.1 on DVD now.