Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 14:51:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Circular dependency: gal vs. glade

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> I am attempting to install gnome from ports from scratch.  There are
> many problems, but now I have come up against a doozy: gal-0.19 depends
> on glade which depends on gal...

Are you sure?  There are two glade ports.  One is the glade development
IDE, and the other is libglade.  gal depends on libglade, but libglade
does not depend on gal.

/usr/ports/devel/libglade 14:50 nms-build marcus %563# make package-depends | grep gal
/usr/ports/devel/libglade 14:50 nms-build marcus %564#

/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gal 14:52 nms-build marcus %565# make package-depends | grep glade
libglade-0.17_2
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gal 14:52 nms-build marcus %566#

> portinstall does not catch this as a circular dependency, but the two
> packages configure scripts each check for the other and abort if the
> other is not present.
>
> In a similar vein, gal depends on GnomePrint, but it is not listed in
> the Makefile BUILD_DEPENDS...

This is imported from bonobo which is imported from libgda which is
imported from gnomedb which is imported from libglade which is imported by
gal (six degrees of GNOME).  If you have an up-to-date libglade, you
should be okay.  I recommend a good portupgrade -r ORBit.

Joe