Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:46:39 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        attilio@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Peter Holm <pho@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions
References:  <CAJ-FndAJtFx_OhqzDvBSLQ5pEaX730oF8Tbyk%2BkYbz9y1KaXXA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndC=3Z9hNAHR9cwwypxhx%2Be27%2B6eiHWxOxRBij8H_wLb6w@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndBzoeXpFFHEmhiYZ9er=n0zXSXXo-vbrLX4ZmYdjDQMhg@mail.gmail.com> <50064FB2.3020409@entel.upc.edu> <CAJ-FndBWJpdCTnCYhoUsr0zyKuNF9Dg_H64tjScFg5OGq7NmqQ@mail.gmail.com> <CACTUWnj7ECa2ZRuNk-NPgnY82Ma5XNto9yvYZjEXokpSj8FuRQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndAHWPdD%2BuFoOYttQe9t11iLBn%2B1RRUh4U_xQbguRP=-cA@mail.gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 7/21/12, Antony Mawer <lists@mawer.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote=
:

>>> I'm really concerned also about ntfs and smbfs at the moment. It seems
>>> that there is also a FUSE smbfs port, but I never used it and I'm not
>>> sure about its state at all.
>>
>> From what I understand, Apple have done a considerable amount of work
>> on the FreeBSD-drived smbfs in the latest versions of OS X, based on
>> the existing smbfs in tree:
>
> I've also found that there are 2 FUSE modules for smbfs but pho@ and
> flo@ still haven't tested them. It may make sense to do so before we
> commit FUSE to -CURRENT. However, thee is a plan by a $COMPANY to work
> on the in-kernel version of smbfs and lock it before 10.0 is shipped.
> In the unlikely events this doesn't happen we will came up with a
> different plan (assuming we will adopt anyway the FUSE module, if it
> proves to work well).
>
>>     http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/smb/smb-552.5/
>>
>> I imagine things like the filesystem locking are probably somewhat
>> different, but in terms of updating smbfs itself to support newer
>> features it may be a good base (licensing permitting). smbfs at the
>> moment lacks in some areas such as DFS support, although I do not know
>> if the OS X version is any different there (given the consumer focus
>> of their OS, probably not). There was also a version spun off by
>> OpenSolaris:
>>
>>     http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+smbfs/
>>
>> which again was based on the FreeBSD + Apple versions.
>>
>> I also have a vested interest in NWFS continuing to work - only from a
>> legacy point of view where we still interoperate with a number of
>> Netware 6 servers through this. While those will likely eventually go
>> away, more than likely before we move to 10.x, if there is anyone
>> capable of working on it we could supply a test environment.
>> Unfortunately the actual locking of the NWFS and NCP modules is
>> outside my sphere of knowledge...
>
> If you have NCP, do you think you can try this netncp I never
> committed because lack of testing?:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2009-January/005617.html
>
> IIRC, Apple does a similar thing for netsmb (which suffers from a
> similar problem as netncp).
> Do you know if FUSE can support NWFS in any way?
>
> Starting providing stress-tests on the current codebase for
> NWFS/NetNCP (and report bugs found, preparing a list) could be a good
> way to start the locking effort. Interested developers then can look
> into such a list and provide necessary insight.

1. The in-kernel smbfs is so far behind the SMB spec that I'm not sure
that it's worthwhile maintaining it. It's SMB1.x based, which is
pre-Vista; SMB2.1 has been out for a while and 3.0 is rolling around
the corner in the next couple years (about the same time Windows XP is
going to be EOS).
2. According to reports I have from internal sources, the Apple
implementation is suboptimal from a performance perspective, in part
because the Apple SMB client doesn't coalesce requests. I concur on
the poor performance based on personal experience because NFS beats
SMB hands down on OSX (comes close to saturating the physical media
with NFS, and putters along at a fraction of the link speed with CIFS
on my Macbook Pro with Lion), whereas running a Windows 7 client
against samba36 yields performance I would expect (saturates gigabit).

YMMV,
-Garrett

1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle