Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 15:04:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@ajax.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM error(s)

Khetan Gajjar writes:

> The following error is displayed when I tried to use ctm to apply delta
> cvs-cur.2063.gz to my tree :
>
> FN : CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys md5 mismatch
> FN : CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys edit returned 1.
>
> Can someone explain this to me ? I've got all the deltas prior to this one
> and have done nothing unusual.

I've recently applied the same delta with no problems.  Each time ctm
does an editing operation it verifies that the md5 checksum of the file
in question is correct.  If you unzip the delta and have a look inside
you will see the following with respect to CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys:-

CTMFN CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys 0 552 664 55c7aa3745870df5567f5457b92b3b1d 73af9cc6d9ebd87e9a0ca406da0bb4f0 307
a35921 13
wosch       96/05/31 16:39:17

The string starting 55c7a.... is the md5 checksum that CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys
should have had _before_ editing whilst the string 73af9... is the checksum
_after_ the delta has been applied.  The error you got means that you must
have somehow modified CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys so that it had the wrong
checksum.

To recover from this you will have to study the manpage for ctm(5) and
armed with that knowledge you will be able to apply by hand the remaining
edits from  cvs-cur.2063.gz.  I don't know of any way of getting ctm to
apply the remainder of cvs-cur.2063.gz automatically.  Alternatively you
may be able to grab copies of the files in question from a mirror site
but you had better be quick before they change any further.  Run md5 on
any files you edit or grab to make sure thet the checksums are back in
sync.  And in future don't fool around with your CVS tree :->.

>From logs that I keep, here is the full list of actions for that delta:-

Working on </home/ctm/cvs/cvs-cur.2063.gz>
> FS .ctm_status
> FN CVSROOT/commitlogs/share
> FN CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys
> FN src/share/man/man4/Makefile,v
> FN src/share/man/man4/update.4,v
> FN src/sys/miscfs/procfs/procfs_status.c,v
All done ok
Exit(0)

The last 4 files mentioned are now out of sync on your system and you
have to get them back as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately for you,
CVSROOT/commitlogs/sys is also edited in cvs-cur.2066.gz so if you grab
a copy of this file from a mirror site, it may still be out of sync.
You should be able to get the other three as they don't seem to have
changed any further.  Good luck.

> Khetan Gajjar

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 3844 0400  Fax +617 3844 0444)
Director, ODCAA Well Control School, The University of Queensland,