Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 00:03:09 -0800
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@obie.softweyr.com>
To:        Binh Do <binhdo@binhdo.home.cs.ubc.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy disk for Unix...

Binh Do writes:
 > It may be a very stupid question. I just wonder if we have commands to
 > use floppy disks as Unix disks, i.e. DOS may not understand such disks.
 > For now I just use floppy as DOS (using mtools) and I do not see the topic
 > discueesed in several Unix books.
 >
 > Using "man -k floppy" I see some commands like "fdformat" fdwrite but how
 > to copy to the disks after formatting them?

You could make a filesystem on the floppy, using newfs, and mount like
a hard disk.  You can also use tar with floppies, for backups or
moving software from one machine to another.  As far as Unix is
concerned, a floppy is just another disk drive.  ;^)

 > Thank you for explanation and have a good weekend.

Working on it.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder