Date:      17 Apr 2000 16:45:46 -0000
From:      vladimir-bsd-stable@math.uic.edu
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intel etherexpress 16 (ISA) card

	>The 'ie' driver has a number of issues which I'm working to correct.
	>
	>You might try a different io port or IRQ.
	>
	>Try booting verbose as well.
	>
	>Also, make sure you only set the memory size to 32k.

I did that.     I've found an interesting document
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/freebsd_etherexpress16.html
and configured the card according to recommendations there
(except the RAM start address):

   I/O Address:
   300
   Interrupt:
   5
   Connector Type:
   RJ 45
   Force 8 bit Operation:
   No
   Amount of RAM to Map:
   32K
   RAM Start Address:
   D800h
   Flash/Boot ROM Address:
   Flash/Boot ROM disabled
   Flash Remote Boot Program:
   None

Then I've put this in the kernel config:
   device ie0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd8000

and 'boot -v' didn't detect the card.

I'll try different io's and IRQ's.   I would not exclude the possibility
that all 3 cards that I have are bad.   BTW, they pass the softset's
testing utility, but I don't know how reliable these tests are.
Good luck with your work on the driver -- it's nice to know someone is
working on that!   Thanks.

	Vladimir