Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 22:04:54 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "'Jeff Lynch'" <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>, "'Kal Torak'" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Stable'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'FreeBSD ISP'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Hanna wrote:
> >

> > > No PPP involved with me, and I think with many others. I
> agree that
> > > the "no affect" above does look like ordinary buffer exhaustion,
> > > though I also have a working network except for one interface (or
> > > maybe divert socket?).
> >
> > Hmmm, perhaps this is related to NAT then???
>
> We see this without using NAT between a 3.x and 4.x box
> sitting on fastether feeds at two separate colo spaces.
> Latency is pretty consistent between 30-40ms. We've turned
> off encryption/compression/stat without help, but switching
> to tcp seems to help. But we are moving traffic off the vtun
> as quickly as possible, so that could also be a factor to the
> noticable increase in stability.

Sorry if I'm a bit late to this party, but I've had this come up once,
and it was on a dial up link to a box (ppp link, connected to another
ordinary modem at 33.6k), and I was concurrently running nmap and saint,
and needless to say it happened about halfway through the scans.

IPFirewall was running, but I had it set to allow any from any to any.
NAT was not running, and had never been running on that box either.

And no I'm not a script kiddie, I was asked to see if that box had any
major holes open :).