Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:24:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpt0

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Recently I noticed that lpt0 has been replaced by the ppbus stuff, in
> LINT.  The problem is, I can't find any example as to how to set it up
> for a plain, vanilla printer.... ppbus has so many more capabilities
> than lp, I think it's embarrassed about it's dowdy origins.  I don't
> know what controller to use (ppbus0 or maybe ppc0?) and the old device,
> lpt0, doesn't even exist in LINT anymore.
>
> I tried picking up the lines for ppbus0 and nlpt, which I guessed might
> be right, from LINT, and dropping them into my config file.  They
> compile fine, but nothing is probed (my dmesg shows no printer) and I
> can't print.
>
> What's the right setup for a plain, ordinary IRQ 7 printer port?
> Please, don't answer if you're going to talk about connecting some
> parallel interfaced thing like a zip drive.  I can't seem to find any
> docs on this, nor any mail messages (nothing in UPDATING either).  There
> is much discussion about things like zip drive connecting, though ...

The following works great for me:

controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
device          plip0   at ppbus?
device          ppi0    at ppbus?
device          pps0    at ppbus?

controller      ppc0    at isa? port ? tty irq 7

> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
> (301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!	   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/