Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:06:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modules and sysctl tree

Hi,

I'd like to know whether we reached some conclusions concerning the naming
of sysctl variables created (or related to) KLDs. I know that Linux
emulator creates "compat.linux". I don't know if any other module creates
sysctls (well, except my SPY module.. :-).

So, what is the current thinking? Should we use

modules.my_module.whatever, or

kld.my_kld.whatever, or

just sprinkle the new sysctls randomly over the tree, according to their
functions, e.g.

kern.my_module_kern_hook
net.inet.my_module_inet_hook

Also, it seems that you cannot create new sysctls (leaves and nodes) at
runtime, i.e. after the module has been loaded.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----