Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:21:57 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is ports freeze active right now or not?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:26:39PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> Cool!  We could always use a couple of more for the Alpha cluster.
> I'm not sure what all of them are (David does) but there are seven

All but one of them are DEC Personal Workstation 500au's w/o L3 cache.
All are 21164 [CPU] based.  With GCC performance on the Alpha, in some
tasks the 500au's perform as you would expect (vs. a 500 Pentium II/III).
For some takes they perform more like a 350MHz Pentium II).

A cluster of 21264 based machines would be really nice.  Once
5.0-CURRENT/STABLE can be used for package building, I might be able to
get a Quad 500MHz 21164 involved.

> It is pretty quick as it stands but with a better beta and a couple of
> more machines it could almost keep up with the blistering pace of the
> bento cluster. :)

Well..... being 21164 based, we'd need a *lot* more machines to keep up
with the Bento run cluster.  But we need a goal, don't we.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)