Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 09:03:05 +0000 ()
From:      Sergio Lenzi <lenzi@cwbtwo.bsi.com.br>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, ports@freegsd.org
Subject:   Re: INGRES 8.9

Ref documentation.

The process I use to "trace bugs" in the source code
leads to "rewrite" all the code so an "patch" from the original,
will result in a file greater than the sources I offer.

It was done as:
1) using an "indent" from unixware it rewrote all the source
	code in a way it becomes K&R c.
2) use of debug that can trace tasks (again in unixware).
3) use of lint in the all the source code.
4) Changed the structure that define tasks from structure to
	pointer to typedefs. Of course after that nothing
	worked at all. (That is the idea).
5) With the help from the debugger and "cscope" (program that
	makes references within c procedures and calls), I
	started to make it running. After 2 weeks the
	references to all procedures wrere fixed.
6) Traced and removed references to a 16bit machine and it's
	16 bit integers.
7) Implement of a program that calculates the offset in
	the pages based in constans from the specific
	machine "sparc,hpux,intel..."
8) Almost rewritten the equel processor. It only let you
	define a name say "STUDENT". When later in the program
	you need to define "A.STUDENT" the scanner reports
	dupplicate name. So I changed the scanner from tree
	to list logic, working in the yacc also.
After that I wrote a program (system) to control video-shops
and with the same code compiled in Unixware, linux or BSD,
I installed in 3 video shops from a friend of mine.
The system is running by 6 months or so, without ANY problems.
In the shops it uses 386DX with 8Mb of memory and 500MB of disk,
with a multi serial of 4 ports running a console and 2 dumb
terminals. Now there is only Unixware and BSD (linux file systems was week,
as sometimes the power goes down and it losts some of the open files).

If you're intereste,
I can send you a program as an example on how I've done a real
application (C written).

Very Thanks,

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi.