Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:47:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@e115025.vtacs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   networking w/ms clients help

Situation :

  Small office with less than 20 windows 95 and 98 clients, one windows NT
server, and one FreeBSD box.  The FreeBSD box has three network interfaces,
one modem for internet access, one modem for dialin access, and one ethernet
card to the office LAN.  The FreeBSD box runs NATD and IPFW to allow all
machines, either dialing in, or on the LAN to access internet.

  First I would like the microsoft client machines on the LAN to be able to
see a microsoft client machine dialed in to the FreeBSD box.  By "see" I mean
network neighborhood.  Second I would like to run isc's implementation of dhcpd
on the FreeBSD box, for both clients on the LAN and a client dialed in to the
FreeBSD box.

  The problem I am running in to, is that I have no idea where to start getting
clients on the LAN to be able to see a client dialed in to the FreeBSD box
(network neighborhood wise).  I have tried to track down with tcpdump, which
ports to "not" to disable with ipfw, but even when I leave the firewall open
between the dialin modem, and ethernet interfaces it doesn't work.  Next I
thought that I may not have set the network up correctly, IP and netmask
wise.  At this point I have the dialin modem interface set as 192.168.41.1,
and the ethernet interface set as 192.68.40.1, both with the netmasks set at
255.255.255.0.  This is probably where I think my problem lies, but as I have
no experience with this previously I don't really know what local IP's and
netmasks I should choose.  I continue to sit in the school book store and
read ORA's TCP/IP book, but I'm a slow learner.  What I'm looking for is
someone that would be able to explain to me what I might be doing incorrectly
and point me in the right direction.  If I have not given enough information
please let me know.

         Thanks

         Jared

jagnew@e115025.vtacs.com