Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:15:10 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Carl Johan Madestrand <cj@vallcom.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, will@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few problems with KDE 2.0

Will Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 12:30:51AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I have everything running except the CD player group, which won't
> > build because it wants a scsiiio.h that was deleted a while back. If
> > you try to install KDE-2 over KDE-1.x, nothing but trouble results. I
> > did that and today I finally make cleaned and pkg_deleted everything.
> > I had qt-1.45 and qt-2.2.1, which I also cleaned up and only
>
> QT 1.x and 2.x can coexist.  But if you don't delete your old QT2
> installation there will probably be some problems.  Unless you have the
> newest one (which was 2.2.1 in this case).  But KDE 1.x and 2.x cannot
> coexist unless you put them under different PREFIXes (which _should_
> work now, except KDE2 hasn't been tested in this regard, but I believe
> imura-san fixed KDE 1.x, so you could put 1.x in something like
> /usr/local2 or something.. no guarantees).

They were trying to share the same space. Getting rid of both KDE's
and both qt's and starting over seemed to be important.

> > reinstalled qt-2.2.1. Then I "cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2" and did a make
> > and make install. When it finally finished, I had KDE-2 running. If
> > you make a change to arts, you have to logout and log back in for it
> > to start.
>
> Did you have to do anything special to get logging out to work?

On my clean builds, artsd worked at startup using startx. I used your
KDE-2 mega (requires too long for a meta :) ) port makefile to build
everything. At least I had system sounds. It was only a problem where
I had mixes of qt's and KDE's. Loging out also works. I don't used
KDE's kmedia to play anything like wav's or mp3's. When I tried, the
HD would churn awhile and then stop. It seemed to crash cleanly
because I could still log out and back in.

I have a kscd running on one system. I grabbed scsiio.h from the Attic
and saved it in /usr/include/sys. You could then gmake and gmake
install kscd. Until then, kdemultimedia2 doesn't build properly. I
found that a bug report was filed at KDE.org on kscd not building.
Scsiio.h was deleted around 9 October. When you cvsup'ed stable after
that, the file was deleted.

The Makefile doesn't stop on the make error building kscd and you
think you have a fully funtional, working kdemultimedia2. I don't have
a scsi CDROM and adding an ancient scsiio.h didn't matter. When you do
this, you have icons for everything but the arts control panel. I
haven't looked to see how much work converting

/usr/ports/audio/kdemultimedia2/work/kdemultimedia-2.0/kscd/libwm/plat_freebsd.c

to cam would be. Following -hackers, it always seems to be quite an
effort.

On this computer, which is running W2K right now, kscd will crash when
invoked. Both systems were clean builds but something is different. It
also isn't an ordinary CDROM but a DVD, which may use some of the
scsiio functions. I got to thinking while I was writing this that I
need to make clean and reinstall kdemultmedia2. If that stops the
crashing of kscd, I'll let you know. Rebuilding it on the other
computer didn't help as far as playing *.wav's was concerned and don't
see any reason for hope on this machine. I captured the build output
and it detects the MMX and the next part of the build sets it up so
that it doesn't build the mpeglib. I don't know if that has anything
to do with not being able to play audio files. It was just something
that grabbed my eye as I was paging through the build output.

I have been known to <ctrl><alt><f3>, login as root, and do a
"shutdown now" to log out of KDE-1. That is one of the reasons I
upgraded to KDE-2. If it was broken, I had a chance that it would be
fixed on KDE-2. So far I haven't had to do a shutdown logout with
KDE-2.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart