Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:57:16 -0700
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging TCP anomalies

On Apr 27, 2015, at 11:37 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette =
<rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> I am prompted to ask here whether or not FreeBSD performs any sort of
> logging of instances when "duplicate TCP packets but with different
> payloads" occurs,

Not normally.  Such things can be visible in netstat -s output as =
"completely
duplicate packets", "packets with some dup. data", etc and maybe =
enabling
network debugging sysctls would give more visibility.  They'd also =
generate
vast amounts of logging for normal network activity.

> and/or whether FreeBSD provides any options which,
> for example, might automagically trigger a close of the relevant TCP
> connection when and if such an event is detected.  (Connection close
> seems to me to be one possible mitigation strategy, even if it might
> be viewed as rather ham-fisted by some.)

You need to be able to distinguish normal dup packets or dropping =
connections
will break normal traffic.  For that matter, an attacker could try to =
spoof
legit connections and your countermeasure would presumably zap the legit
connection.

Use a firewall which tracks connection state, drops out-of-window =
packets,
forces fragmented packet reassembly to be performed, uses protocol-aware
proxies to validate the content of traffic where possible.

Regards,
--=20
-Chuck