Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:45:12 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   New idea, FreeBSD installation from DVD ?

Hi Jordan !

A few days ago I got SuSE Linux. Because of apsfilter I always receive
two SuSE professional Linux packages whenever a new version comes out.

This time they had 6 or 8 CD-ROM set _and_ *DVD* installation CD included.

Since we haven't the installation routines ready to support a multi CD
installation like SuSE does, where the installation routines tell you
to insert CD 1..n depending on what stuff you selected to install,
wouldn't it be the right time, to offer FreeBSD optionally or
additionally on DVD ?

Then we could easily get rid of decisions, what to put on the boot
CD and what not.

I think on a DVD media we would have the advantage to let the user
choose every stuff he likes to have installed on his machine.

Would also be a good chance to offer typical installation profiles like:
GNOME Desktop, KDE Desktop or mass installation of everything.

When installing everything, then everything should be defined somewhere
since we have conflicting ports. I.e.: different inns, Netscapes, apaches,
etc ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                           Powered by FreeBSD SMP
Songs from our band >>64Bits<<............http://www.apsfilter.org/64bits.html