Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:22:16 -0600
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help with HP T20 SCSI Travan tape drive under FreeBSD 3.1

I have an HP T20 SCSI Travan tape driver under FreeBSD 3.1 connected to
an Adaptec 2940UW controller.  Kernel sees the 2940 and the HP T20 drive
(sa0).  I created the device using MAKEDEV sa0.

When I try to do anything with the drive like tar (tar -cvf /dev/sa0) or
mt, I get:

LOAD UNLOAD CDB 1B 0 0 0 10
MEDIUM ERROR asc:15,2
Positioning Error detected by read of medium.

I tried to rewind or get a status of the device from mt, but I get the
same error.

What is up?  Will the T20 work under FreeBSD 3.1?

JohnL