Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:19:15 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        ade@demon.net
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: major timer/APIC code changes.

Hi,

> I've been running some tests with recent and week-or-so-old
> 3.0-current SMP kernels (ie: before and after the major changes)
>
> Guess I must be lucky, but I haven't had a single kernel panic,
> even under extreme IO conditions (simulated high-intensity news
> reading machines), with lots of local disk, network, and NFS
> traffic.

this is good news.  I also have both machines running nicely.  The only
expected panics are of a static nature during boot when the kernel
discovers its missing a necessary APIC connection.  No one has reported
random panics (knock on silicon) yet.

---
> The newer kernels also feel somewhat more responsive under load,
> though as yet I don't have any quantitive data to back this
> assertion up.

I had the same feeling of improvement but figured it was just
wishful thinking on my part.  Thanx for the report.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by