Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:26:39 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] install boot manager only

>a colleage has a pair of ide drives that work in one configuration
>only--the smaller must be the first drive.
>
>how can i install the boot manager on that drive without damaging his dos
>partitions.   can this be done using the boot.flp?

I've done it on SCSI drives without any FreeBSD partitions.  We have
an Interactive Unix and DOS partition on the first SCSI drive and
we recently added a larger 1GB drive for FreeBSD.  I used the
FreeBSD boot manager and wrote the boot record to the first drive
using fdisk from the boot floppy.  I believe this was with the
Feb or March snapshot boot floppy.  Installed FreeBSD on SCSI disk
two also using the FreeBSD boot loader.  Now I can boot the machine
and get a prompt for DOS, Interactive Unix, and F5 to switch to the
second disk.  Upon hitting F5, you get an F1 for FreeBSD and F5 to
switch back to the first disk.

It works great!

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org