Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:45:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason T <moxie@ahab.com>
To:        Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtualhosts an multiple addresses

It's advised (check apache virtual hosting docs carefully) to use the IP
address as the argument to the virtual host, whether it's name-based or
not.   So it would look like this:

<VirtualHost 192.168.88.1>
DocumentRoot /www/loadabricks
ServerName www.loadabricks.com
# etc
</VirtualHost>

Apache matches first on the IP address in the VirtualHost line, then uses
the Host: header supplied by the client to match to the ServerName.  This
works even if you have many virtual hosts..

One of the other nice features of this is that you can set up the
VirtualHost before the DNS is targeted properly... if the DNS is not
correct, using <VirtualHost www.loadabricks.com> will cause apache to
complain.