Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:05:22 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        ryanm@accn.org
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Question

ryanm wrote:

> Is it possible to send back a custom message with sendmail when a
> user does not exist?? I am getting sometimes 1000 User Unknown messages
> and would like to send back a message saying this user account does
> not exist please contact your ISP with questions.
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> Ryan

Hmmm... You should try www.sendmail.org - as this is more sendmail related
than FreeBSD related... :-)  If you setup a 'virtualusertable' you can specify
the error to return for non-deliverable addresses... I couldn't see any global
settings for this in the .cf/mc, but www.sendmail.org has details on how to
setup Virtual User tables...

Good luck :)

-Kp