Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:25:21 +0000
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, WBentley@futurecis.com, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, William Bentley <William@futurecis.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 18 January 2012 17:13, Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> on 18/01/2012 12:44 Robert Watson said the following:
>>
>>> My view is therefore that we have a "social" -- which is to say
>>> structural --
>>> problem. =A0Regardless of ".0" releases, we should be forcing out minor
>>> releases,
>>> which are morally similar to "service packs" in the vocabulary of other
>>> vendors:
>>> device driver improvements, new CPU support, steady of conservative
>>> feature
>>> development, etc, required to keep older major releases viable on
>>> contemporary
>>> hardware and with contemporary applications. =A0One known problem is us=
ing
>>> single "head" release engineer in steering all releases. I think this i=
>>> mistake, as it makes the whole project's release schedule subject to
>>> individual
>>> unavailability, burnout, etc, as well as increasing the risks associate=
>>> with
>>> low bus factor. =A0I'd like to see us move to a model where new release
>>> engineers
>>> are mentored in from the developer community for point releases, ensuri=
ng
>>> that
>>> we increase our expertise, share knowledge about release engineering in
>>> the
>>> broader community, and get new eyes on the process which can lead more
>>> readily
>>> to process improvements. =A0The role of the "head" release engineer
>>> shouldn't be
>>> hands-on prodution of every release, but rather, steering of the overal=
>>> team.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see this begin with 8.3, drawing a per-release lead from th=
>>> developer community, and continue with a fixed schedule release of 8.4.
>>> =A0Yes,
>>> more staffing is needed, but first, what is needed is an improvement in
>>> model.
>>

>> Robert,
>>
>> I think that in addition to what you suggest above it would also be usef=
ul
>> have some sort of branch meisters. =A0The current model when every devel=
oper
>> decides whether and when and where to do an MFC does not seem to be the
>> proper
>> one. =A0Developers often forget to do an MFC. =A0Or decide against an MF=
C when
>> there
>> is no reason to do so. =A0Or sometimes do an MFC where the stable branch
>> users
>> would rather prefer that it is not done.
>> There needs to be someone who "owns" a branch and who want to make it
>> perfect.
>> Someone who could request an MFC (or even do it himself) and someone who
>> could
>> reject an MFC.
>

> "someone who owns a branch..." - If you cut release N.0, do not
> move -current to N+1. =A0Keep -current at N for a while, prohibiting
> ABI changes, and any other risky changes. =A0If a developer wants to
> do possibly disruptive work, they can do it from their own repo.
> At this point, the branch meister(s) own the branch, and HEAD is
> only moved to N+1 when they decide that the branch is stable
> enough for production. =A0Maybe then, N.1 (or N.2) is rolled out.
>
> I think most developers track HEAD because: you have to commit and
> test in HEAD before MFC'ing anyway; because of that, it easier
> to track and test one branch; and ports built for HEAD may not
> work on -stable.
>
> --
> DE

"

Interesting conversation, what you just siggested I suggested years back ;)

My view is a branch cant be marked stable at .0 because it hasnt had enough=
 use.

In addition I feel PRs need more attention and I would accept less
frequent release in trade for more fixed bugs.

I am about to post some PRs myself, one been a nasty lockf issue which
has forced me to shift about 20 production http servers over to debian
because of processes going into lockf (at low/moderate loads).

Chris