Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:19:44 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        Richard Beyer <richard@another.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Upgrading 4.8 - 5.2, filesystem full

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:10:05PM +1100, Richard Beyer wrote:
> Thanks Jez,
>
> Here's my df -h
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a   126M   106M   9.4M    92%    /
> /dev/ad0s1f   252M   9.6M   222M     4%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1g    72G   2.7G    64G     4%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1e   252M    51M   181M    22%    /var
> procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>

> It's an 80Gig HDD and I was using the sysinstall | upgrade | all | include
> ports

Seems odd that so much space is taken up by / - perhaps under 5.x more
space is required?  I really do need to install 5.x at some point ... :P

Is there no chance you can perform a standard install from scratch?  I
had contemplated moving from 4.8 to 5.x, but am seriously putting it
off because I imagine *upgrading* from 4.x to 5.x isn't too
straight-forward - perhaps others could shed light on whether it's
recommended to attempt it or not?

Can you not do a backup of your data and start over with a fresh install
of 5.2?  You have stacks of room on the hdd spare, so presumably doing
this wouldn't be too problematic.