Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:00:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 21960

In article <20000915004534.A486@bushong.net> you wrote:
> It doesn't seem to happen with all 29160's, but it does seem to happen with
> all SuperMicro 370DL3 motherboards.  I have IBM 36GB 10k drives, so it's not
> that they're Seagates...
>
> --David Bushong

Be aware that even IBM has had firmware issues with their 10K U160
product line.  One particular bug made a seek miss a catastrophic
event.  Oh, and whatever sector you were shooting for would be
corrupted too.  Unfortunately I don't know exactly which models
and firmware revisions were affected.

Anyway, I did find reference to one situation that could potentially
cause corruption of the controller's per-transaction data area when
running the 7892/99 on a 66MHz pci bus.  The latest version of
the driver (referenced in another piece of email) avoids that
issue and may fix this problem.  If it doesn't, I'll order up
a SM 370DL3 (or find one in our test lab) and see if I can
determine what is going wrong on that board.

--
Justin